Date of Post: 03 Jan, 2019
The Railways is likely to begin the commercial run of the much awaited ‘Train 18’ between Delhi and Varanasi next week, just ahead of the Kumbh Mela in Allahabad, sources said. It is also likely to be one of the 4 special trains to ferry delegates of the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas on January 24 from the Kumbh Mela in Allahabad to the national capital in time for the Republic Day event.
- The Railways said that the train which will run at a speed of 130 kmph will reduce journey time between the two cities from the present 11 hours and 30 minutes to 8 hours.
- Source said,”The train is 45% faster than the fastest train on this route. It will be flagged off by the prime minister ahead of the Kumbh Mela.”
- Railway Minister Piyush Goyal, who inspected the Train 18 rake, on Wednesday said it will “begin service soon”.
- A date will be finalised once the Railways gets a go ahead from the PMO, sources said.
- On its journey to Varanasi on its first run, it will have 2 stoppages – one at Kanpur and the other at Allahabad.
The train has a number of features to enhance passenger comfort, which include-
- Interconnected fully-sealed gangways
- Automatic doors with retractable footsteps
- GPS-based passenger information system
- Modular toilets with bio-vacuum systems
- Rotational seats that can be aligned in the direction of travel (available only in the executive class)
- Roller blinds
- Diffused LED lighting
- Differently-abled-friendly toilets
To know more about recent developments of Railways –
03 Jan, 2019: Initiatives for Railway Safety
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .