Date Of Post: 05 Feb, 2018
New Delhi: By 2022, railways to completely Switch To Electric Locomotives by phasing out diesel locomotives. Railway Minister Sh. Piyush Goyal said,”The Member Traction, Railway Board, has said that by March, 2019, no diesel loco hauled train would be permitted in Delhi area…railways will be completely LED lit in the next 8 months.” Speaking at the Institute of Railway Electrical Engineers, Goyal emphasised the need for transformation & change in the work culture of the Railways.
- As of January 31 2018, 279 electric locomotives have been built, Goyal said.
- He said,”Now, lets worry about how to convert this 279 into 1,000. We don’t have the luxury of time…Lets see if we can make it by 2019, let us start with that.”
- Goyal also urged Ghanshyam Singh, Member Traction, Railway Board, to reduce the cost of electrification by using automation & modern technologies.
- The Railway Ministry has set a target of 2022 to switch to electric locomotives completely by phasing out their diesel counterparts with a focus on increasing speed.
- Officials said, the Railways will save around Rs 11,500 crore annually through such a move.