Date of Post : 22 June, 2017
Mumbai: On Wednesday, Railway Minister, Suresh Prabhu asked railway officials to put the redevelopment project of 5 suburban railway stations in the city on fast track, & meet likely bidders or builders to explain the benefits of the project.
Stations set to be redeveloped are-
- Mumbai Central
- Lokmanya Tilak Terminus
More Information –
- An official, who attended the review meeting, said,“He emphasised on meeting with bidders and directed Divisional Railway Managers to hold meetings with local builders. He has asked them to address any queries and explain the benefits of the project.”
- The official added,“He also suggested to seek partnership of local authorities like Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority to partner with railways to expedite the process. He also suggested to include certain public sector units in the process.”
- The development will include commercial exploitation of the area & increasing passenger amenities.
- A senior railway official said,“Many parties have shown interest in redeveloping the stations. This could be gauged from the interest shown by them in carrying out surveys and doing site visits. We will understand if there is genuine interest by the bidders once they file the tender.”
- The last date to submit project details of the railway stations on the Central Railway is August 11, while it is August 8 for the Western Railway.
- Prabhat Sahai, MD, Mumbai Rail Vikas Corporation (MRVC) said,“Expediting the suburban rail projects of Mumbai was another suggestion. We have been asked to start the work on Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST)-Panvel elevated corridor at the earliest.”