Date of Post: 06 Dec, 2017
Coimbatore: The railways on Tuesday conducted the speed test of Uday Express double decker train ahead of starting service between Coimbatore and Bengaluru. The train was operated at a speed of 100 kmph from Coimbatore station to Somanayakkanpatti station near Vellore. This was the train’s second trial run covering a distance of around 235km.
- The train with nine coaches, reached the city at 10.30am.
- The first trial was conducted on August 10 with just three coaches, and the speed was then limited to just 80km per hour.
- An official said,”The trial run is only to check the overhead traction and if the coaches run properly along the platforms. Last time, the coaches dashed against the platform at Tirupur. So, we have adjusted the height and width accordingly.”
- After the test, the report would be sent to senior officials.
- The exact number of double decker coaches is yet to be fixed by the railway board.
- A railways spokesperson said,”The number of coaches will initially depend on Bengaluru’s pit line cleaning facility and capacity as we don’t have one that can handle double decker coaches.”