Date Of Post: 23 Apr, 2018
IRSDC is planning to raise around INR 4000 Crores from the markets for upgrading around 50 stations .
More Features :
- After getting a nod from the Prime Minister’s Office at a recent review meeting, to proceed with a few stations rather than taking up about 600 at one go, the ministry is likely to take up 50 stations in the initial stage.
- The first phase of the rail ministry’s Rs1-trillion station redevelopment plan is set to take off soon.
- The ministry decided to redevelop stations by itself through IRSDC, under an engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) model .
- Railways is likely to enter into a build-operate-transfer (BOT) annuity model deal with IRSDC.
- Railways will give a letter of comfort, based on which IRSDC will raise money from the markets, with a five-year moratorium period .
- In the new plan, Indian Railways will offer 20 per cent of the overall area redeveloped for residential purposes; the remaining 80 per cent area will be utilised commercially.
- This would mean developers tying up with IRSDC will have the option to build residential structures within the station premises, which are in prime localities.
“The stations allotted earlier — including Habibganj (Bhopal) that the Bansal Group is developing and Gandhinagar (Gujarat) — will be commissioned by December 2018,” said S K Lohia, managing director and chief executive of IRSDC.
Image Credit: Nborkakoty Wikipedia