Date : 13 June, 2017
With plans to effect enormous change in the railway sector in Gujarat in the next three months, the works to convert all meter gauge lines into broad gauge lines will soon be initiated, say sources.According to official sources, the formulation of massive scheme to convert 16 meter gauge rail sections spread across 725 kms distance into broad gauge will be done before October.
- Rs 5,295 crore is estimated to be the cost.
- The meter gauge will be a history in Western railways after laying of broad gauge line in these 16 train departments in Gujarat.
- According to official information, these lines fall under Ahmedabad, Bhavnagar and Vadodra zones.
- The huge change in these lines has been given a green signal in this year’s budget .
- According to sources, adequate rail travel is lacking owing to meter gauge at most of the places.
- Also, absence of rolling stock (coach and engine) at most lines has led to complete halt of rail travel leading to rail routes being encroached upon.
- As the government has decided to completely stop laying of meter gauge line, therefore it has also decided to halt the production of its engine and coach with immediate effect.
- As meter gauge coaches and engines are getting obsolete, they are being discarded. This has led to some of the meter gauge rail routes getting deserted with rail traffic completely shut.
- Sources are also saying that with the converting of meter gauge line into broad gauge between Botad to Sabarmati -Kalol Kodiyar , the distance between Bhavnagar and Ahmedabad will reduce considerably and people will get an opportunity to travel by less expensive train compared to pricey buses.