Date of Post: 15 oct, 2018
The Rail Coach Refurbishment factory at Sonipat in Haryana, which was sanctioned in the year 2018-19, is targeted to be commissioned in the year 2020-2021. It is the first of its kind refurbishment workshop with state of the art machinery & plant to be developed at an estimated project cost of Rs 484 crore. It will cater primarily to refurbishment of LHB coaches & train sets.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for a Rail Coach Refurbishment Karkhana, Sonipat at a ceremonial function at Garhi Sampla, Rohtak on 09.10.2018.
- With a area of 161 acres, the factory shall have an initial built-in capacity of catering to POH and refurbishment of 250 coaches per year and scaled up to 1000 per year progressively.
- The workshop is envisaged to have potential annual turnover of Rs 250 crore.
- The other salient features of the Karkhana include Automatic paint booths for superior painting of coaches, Pre-fabricated Sheds with a floor area of 40000 sq m etc.
- Besides this, eco-friendly features like 1 MWp Solar Power Plant mounted on the shed floor, use of waste water treatment & water recycling shall also be provided.
- The railway also plans to have an in-built design to provide natural day lighting through UV protected polycarbonate sheeting & natural ventilation through side louvers & turbo vents.
- LED illumination shall be provided for entire building, sheds & circulating areas and extensive tree plantation would be carried out to complement the Railway’s ecological priorities.
- The Rail Coach Refurbishment Karkhana would serve as an industrial hub for promoting regional development.
- The other priorities like skill development are envisaged through training centre & workshop facilities.
- Through this endeavor of the Railways’, new opportunities for ancillary industries & vendors would be provided thus creating direct as well as indirect employment.
To know more about recent developments of Railways-
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .