Date Of Post: 05 Apr, 2018
Patna: Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi is likely to dedicate the locomotive facility in Madhepura in Bihar to the nation and flag off the first high-power electric locomotive assembled there on April 10, railway ministry sources said. Modi, who will be in Motihari as the chief guest at a programme of the Chalo Champaran Campaign, a part of the “Swachch Bharat” Mission, is likely to launch the first 12,000 HP (Horse Power) electric locomotive, remotely from there.
- Senior Indian Railways officials said,”The PM is slated to be in Champaran at that time and among other things he might announce for the state, announcement of the first electric loco in Madhepura could be a part of it.”
- The final itinerary will be decided in the coming days, officials added.
About The Locomotive-
- This first locomotive is part of a joint venture (JV) of the Indian Railways with French giant Alstom, signed in 2015 and the first major foreign direct investment (FDI) project in the rail sector.
- The project envisages a capital investment of around Rs 1,300 crore by the JV company where Ministry of Railways is required to contribute a maximum of Rs 100 crore as its equity (26 pc) participation.
- The ministry would procure 800 locomotives over 11 years.
‘Make in India’
- While 5 locomotives would be assembled at the factory by 2019, the remaining 795 would be manufactured under the ‘Make in India’ initiative, it said.
- The factory would build 100 electric engines per year from the financial year 2021-22.
- The locomotive factory is spread over 250 acres of land in Madhepura in Bihar.
Image Credit: Alstom