Date of Post: 15 Dec, 2018
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will visit the Modern Coach Factory (MCF), Raebareli in Uttar Pradesh on December 16, as India readies to enter the competitive market of manufacturing and exporting quality coaches.
The visit assumes significance as it comes months after the railways proposed that it was keen to manufacture and export bullet train coaches to countries which are building high-speed corridors.
- The factory has already generated a lot of interest with officials from Korea, Japan, China, Germany and Taiwan already visiting the facility.
- Many countries can use India as its manufacturing hub as the cost of production here is much lower than in China, US or anywhere in Europe, a railway official said.
- The senior official said,”For the first time in MCF we have entire coaches made by robots. There is a 1 km production line in which robots are lined up parallely working on some aspect of the coaches. Currently, we have 70 robots working in tandem. This is completely Make in India.”
- From January to March this year, MCF manufactured 229 coaches to surpass the target of 2017-18 with total production for the year at 711 against a target of 710.
- The factory has set a target to roll out 1,422 coaches in the next fiscal.
- “It is a matter of great pride for us. The prime minister coming here is significant as this will send out a message that India is now in the competitive market to export its coaches,” the official said.
- As of now India has only supplied rolling stock to countries like Sri Lanka and Bangladesh under the Indian line of credit.
- The MCF is also set to launch ‘Make in India’ smart coaches with features like black box and artificial intelligence-powered CCTVs, matching international standards.
- The first such coach was unveiled in September this year.
- The MCF is now gearing to roll out 100 smart coaches as a pilot project.
- It is also readying to roll out upgraded ‘Humsafar’ coaches with improved aesthetics, automatic vending machines, nappy changing stations, etc.
- The official,”We are well equipped to produce the coaches and we want to tell the world that we are ready for bulk orders from other countries.”
To know more about recent developments of Railways –
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .