Date of post: 11 01, 2019
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will soon flag off Train 18, the country’s fastest train on the Delhi-Varanasi route, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal said. He added that the train, built under the ‘Make In India’ initiative, will pave the way for bullet trains.
- Goyal was speaking at the launch of PSU Concor’s containers voyage through coastal shipping, flagged by Shipping and Road Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari.
- Train 18’s run-time would be 8 hours, around 1-and-a-half times faster than the fastest train on the route, Goyal said.
- He said,”For bullet trains, this will be the first baby step in that direction.”
- The Railways has taken several initiatives in the last 4-and-half years and has completely stopped old coaches and introduced LHB coaches for passenger safety, Goyal said.
- Indian Railways will be one of the first railways in the world to be run entirely on electricity.
- A Rail University has also been begin with the objective to augment the transportation sector, he added.
- Train 18 has “amenities of international standards, is Wi-Fi enabled, CCTV cameras and it has no locomotive or engine. It is a trainset. It will cover the 750-km route at a maximum speed of 160kmph,” the railway minister had said earlier this month.
- Goyal had said, there will be two classes – one regular and another executive class and they will be fully air-conditioned.
- The Train 18 has a number of features to enhance passenger comfort including-
- Interconnected fully-sealed gangways
- Automatic doors with retractable footsteps
- GPS-based passenger information system
- Modular toilets with bio-vacuum systems
- Rotational seats that can be aligned in the direction of travel (available only in the executive class)
- Roller blinds
- Diffused LED lighting
- Differently-abled-friendly toilets.
To know more about recent developments of Railways –
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways, Metro and Transportation Sector of India.
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information