Date of Post: 19 Feb, 2019
Varanasi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi Today flagged off an electric locomotive converted from a diesel engine at the Diesel Locomotives Works (DLW) in Varanasi. In a first, the Indian Railways has converted a diesel locomotive into an electric one, as part of efforts to completely electrify the broad gauge network.
- The Prime Minister reached DLW Today and flagged off the electric locomotive.
- He also inspected the engine from inside.
- Officials said that the work on the project began on December 22, 2017 and from concept to execution of the conversion of the diesel locomotive to electric was carried out in just 69 days.
- In keeping with the Railways’ Mission 100% electrification and de-carbonization agenda, DLW has developed a new prototype electric locomotive converted from diesel locomotive.
- Indian Railways has decided to convert all Diesel Locomotive to Electric Locomotive during its mid-life rehabilitation and utilise them till their codal life.
- The project is a step towards saving traction energy cost and also cut down on carbon emissions.
To know more about recent developments of of Railways –
12 Feb, 2019: Fares of ‘Vande Bharat Express’ Announced
( Please reach us at email@example.com for more information. )
Image Credit: PIB India