Date of Post: 24 Dec, 2018
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will flag off the first passenger train passing through the Bogibeel bridge on Dec 25, marking the opening of the country’s longest rail-cum-road bridge. The Intercity Express from Tinsukia to Naharlagun will run 5 days a week.
- The 4.9km bridge will cut down the train-travel time by more than 10 hours between Tinsukia in Assam to Naharlagun town of Arunachal Pradesh.
- “It will take 5-and-a-half hours compared to the 15-20 hours it currently takes. Passengers had to change trains multiple times and take a long-winded route,” Northeast Frontier Railway spokesperson Nripen Bhattacharya said.
- Bhattacharya said, the 14 coach chair-car train will depart in the afternoon from Tinsukia and it will leave from Naharlagun the next morning.
- The Bogibeel bridge connects the south bank of the Brahmaputra river in Assam’s Dibrugarh district with Silapathar in Dhemaji district, bordering Arunachal Pradesh.
- The train and the bridge will be a boon for the people of Dhemaji as major hospitals, airport and medical colleges are in Dibrugarh.
- The spokesperson added, it will also help the people of Itanagar as it is just over 15 km from Naharlagun.
- Modi will flag off the train after inaugurating the Bogibeel bridge on December 25.
- This bridge is part of the infrastructure projects planned by government to improve logistics along the border in Arunachal Pradesh.
To know more about recent developments of Railways –
20 Dec, 2018: Akkannapet-Medak railway line to be ready by March 2019
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .