On Sunday , September 3 , The Indian government had its third reshuffle of its Council of Ministers.
Shri Piyush Goyal, who took charge from Suresh Prabhu, will be the new railway minister of the Modi government.
Mr Goyal , who has a background in accounts and law, has been given the responsibility in the third reshuffle following his performance as power minister.
Railways will be the third portfolio for Mr Goyal . He has been minister of state with independent charge for power, coal, new and renewable energy and mines.
He is also seen to have brought about a turnaround in production, ending days of persistent domestic short supplies that had led to higher imports.
- Piyush Goyal was Minister of State with Independent Charge for Power, Coal, New and Renewable Energy in the Government of India.
- He said that his ministry has been able to electrify 13,134 remote villages by April 2017 out of 18,452.
- He also claimed to have added another 60 GW capacity in his tenure of two years as compared to addition of 240 GW in last 65 years.
- He launched the Ujwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana (UDAY) to revive debt ridden Power DISCOMS of the country in 2015 and has managed to sign MOU’s with 27 states as of April 2017.
- He revised the Government’s target of 20,000 MW of solar power by 2022 to five times (i.e. 100 GW).
- On 5 July 2016, during the second cabinet reshuffle of the Narendra Modi ministry, Piyush Goyal took over as the Minister of Mines (Minister of State with Independent charge) from Narendra Singh Tomar.
Suresh Prabhu was made the Railway Minister by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the first reshuffle of the Cabinet in November 2014 and is now the New Commerce and Industry Minister .