Date Of Post: 17 Apr, 2018
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, on Monday appealed to the Union Ministry of Railways to set up its Integrated Coach Factory for aluminium-bodied train sets in the state. The ministry, in its budget, had said it plans to roll out high-speed aluminium-bodied train sets – called Train-20 – by 2020.
- Patnaik said in its letter to Union Railways Minister Piyush Goyal,”The Ministry of Railways may consider setting up the Integrated Coach Factory for aluminium-bodied train sets in Odisha.”
- He said, the state is the largest producer of aluminium and contributes to 56% of the total smelting capacity of the country.
- The CM asserted that the Odisha government is “extremely keen” to provide support to the Train 20 project.
- Patnaik said in the letter, the government is developing an Aluminium Park in Angul district, where molten aluminium can be directly sourced from the smelter of Nalco.
- The “production costs for the coaches would come down substantially” with the mother plant in the immediate vicinity, he said.
- He added,”The state has also identified downstream and ancilliary units of metal sector as one of its five focus areas and we are committed to providing unmatched facilitation support to manufacturing investments in the state.”