Date of Post: 06 Nov, 2018
The Northern Railway on Tuesday received its first aerodynamically designed passenger electric locomotive capable of running at 200 kmph. An official said, “The first aerodynamically designed 3-phase WAP-5 passenger electric locomotive built by the CLW (Chittaranjan Locomotive Works) has been introduced in service in NR (Northern Railway).”
- The official said that the new locomotive has improved aerodynamics, ergonomic design and it will capable of the driver’s comfort and safety.
- The new locomotive will be used to trains like Rajdhani Express, Gatiman Express, and Shatabdi Express, which will reduce the time of travel for these trains.
- The new locomotive front design has a more aerodynamic shape to reduce drag at higher speeds. And the revamped suspension system would ensure that there are no undue vibrations due to air drag and the train is dynamically stable even at speeds of 200 kmph.”
- The WAP-5 variant with 5,400 HP of power, is energy efficient and stable for high speed operations.
- It has CVVRS (Crew Voice and Video Recording System) for on-board driving data recording and analysis
- The official said, “Cameras with microphones have been installed at the critical positions inside and outside the locomotive to record the voice and audio signals for post-event analysis with data storing facilities”
- CLW today produced 1st Engine with aerodynamic and ergonomic design and 200 kmph speed potential. This WAP-5 loco is energy efficient and stable for high-speed operation. It will be utilised to haul the prestigious trains like Rajdhani Express, Gatiman Express and Shatabdi Express,” the Railway Ministry in a tweet said.
- The engines are also equipped with the latest IGBT-based propulsion system, while the driver’s desk has been ergonomically re-modified for improving the maneuvering skills for the loco pilots.
To know more about recent developments of Railways-
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information