Date Of Post : 10 Feb, 2018
New Delhi: The Northern Railway has been allocated Rs 9,000 crore in the rail budget 2018-19 to modernise its entire signalling system by embracing the world’s most advanced technology, officials said. For the year 2018-19, the outlay is Rs 565 crore. Additional funds will be released each year according to the requirement.
- European Train Control System II or ETCS Level II technology is the most modern radio-based signalling system in the world.
- Rs 398 crore has been earmarked for replacing old mechanical signalling with electronic interlocking at 53 railway stations in the region.
- The Northern zone spans 6,807 km in Jammu & Kashmir, Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh and the Union territories of Delhi and Chandigarh.
WiFi & CCTV
- The zone has been given Rs 10 crore for providing Wi-Fi at 25 B category stations.
- Rs 154 crore from the Nirbhaya Fund has been earmarked for installing CCTV cameras in 4,038 coaches of premium trains (Rajdhani, Shatabdi & Duronto).
- Rs 365 crore has been set aside for video surveillance systems at 1,589 stations in the northern Region.
- The zone has also been given Rs 1,900 crore for new lines across its network.
Image Credit: Hpcos – Wikimedia Commons