Date of Post: 24 Nov, 2018
New Delhi: To combat foggy season, the Northern Railway has decided to provide 2,648 fog safety devices in trains to ensure safety and punctuality, officials said. Fog safety device is a GPS based equipment which provides advance warning to loco pilots about approaching signal.
- These have been provided to them for use during train operations.
- “All the Mail/Express and passenger trains will be equipped with fog safety device during fog situation. Further, 600 more such devices are expected to be commissioned by end of November this year and 5,400 more have already been ordered and will be received in the next 3 months,” T P Singh General Manager Northern Railway said.
- These will not only provide safety but also help in maintaining punctuality, he said.
- During the fog season, railways will also deploy fogmen for placing detonators (a device which generates sound when wheel passes over it) on tracks to alert the loco pilots about approaching signal.
- Automatic signalling system will be converted to modified semi automatic signalling system during this time.
- Sufficient walkie-talkie sets have been provided to crew and station staff.
- Signal indication booklets are provided to assist the loco pilots and their counseling is done for working during fog and issuing consolidated instructions for working.
Fog safety devices have also been provided to-
- East Central Railway (877)
- North Central Railway (537)
- North Eastern Railway (975)
- Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) and North Western Railway (802)
To know more about recent developments of Railways–
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .