Date Of Post: 25 Jan, 2018
New Delhi: Union Minister Nitin Gadkari, on Wednesday, urged IL&FS Transportation to explore the possibility of a rail alignment also in the Zojila pass tunnel project to provide all weather connectivity between Srinagar, Kargil and Leh in Jammu & Kashmir, an official said. IL&FS Transportation has been awarded the project for Zojila pass tunnel in Jammu & Kashmir for which a construction period of 2,555 days has been fixed.
IL&FS To Explore The Possibility Of Rail Alignment In The Tunnel
- An official said,”Road Transport and Highways Minister Gadkari has urged IL&FS to explore the possibility of laying a rail alignment also in the tunnel as per Prime Ministers suggestion.”
- The official said, the Minister during an event for signing of MoU for the tunnel, also asked IL&FS to complete the work faster than the assigned 7 years.
- The IL&FS has said that they will explore the possibility of escape tunnel for this (rail alignment), the official added.
Zojila Pass Tunnel Project
- The Cabinet on January 3 had approved strategic Zojila pass tunnel project in Jammu & Kashmir to provide all- weather connectivity between Srinagar, Kargil & Leh.
- Zojila pass is situated at an altitude of 11,578 feet on Srinagar-Kargil-Leh National Highway, which remains closed during winters (December to April) due to heavy snowfall & avalanches cutting off Leh-Ladakh region from Kashmir.
- The project is implemented by the Ministry of Road Transport & Highways through NHIDCL.
- The civil construction cost of the project is Rs 4,899.42 crore.
- The total capital cost of the project is Rs 6,808.69 crore.
- The project aims at construction of 14.15 km long two- lane bi-directional single tube tunnel with a parallel 14.2 km long egress tunnel excluding approaches between Baltal & Minamarg in the state.
Image Credit: NHIDCL