Date of Post : 06 July, 2017
The Nilgiri Mountain Railway may soon have air-conditioned tourist coach attached to it, made at the Integral Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai.
Sources said such coaches, which offer a panoramic view of the tourist destinations, with various facilities such as large glass windows and roof, rotatable seats and LED lights, are in huge demand.
The executive class tourist coach has already been introduced on a train running between Visakhapatnam and Araku valley.
- The coaches made by ICF for Kolkata Metro was manufactured at a cost of Rs 40 Crore, which is only half the cost of imported Metro coaches.
- The coaches, with stainless steel bodies, have been designed to be on a par with those running on Chennai Metro Rail stretches.
Features of the Coaches:
- Automatic sliding doors
- LCD display system for passenger information
- Emergency egress system that allows passenger evacuation if automatic doors don’t function is an additional feature of the new train.
- As many as 376 passengers can be seated in a Kolkata Metro rake.
On the Tourist Coaches, sources said this was the second coach with a capacity of 40 passengers that was manufactured at a cost of Rs. 4 crore for the train between Visakhapatnam and Araku valley.