Date Of Post: 07 June, 2018
New Delhi: A skywalk connecting the New Delhi Railway Station with two metro lines, decongesting the Ajmeri Gate side of the station, will be completed within the next six months, Northern Railway said. New Delhi Railway Station handles more than 4 lakh passengers per day and the Ajmeri Gate side entry is the convergence hub of the Airport Metro, Yellow Line Metro and the DTC bus stop and therefore, the preferred entry for passengers.
- The Northern Railway said in a statement,”At present, passengers arriving by metro and public buses have to walk through the vehicular traffic to reach the station building. To resolve this problem and to facilitate the smooth movement of passengers, a skywalk is being constructed duly equipped with escalators and stairs. The work is being executed in close coordination with DMRC and will be completed within the next 6 months.”
- Additionally, to handle the huge rush of passengers & vehicular traffic on the Ajmeri Gate side coming via the Bhavbhuti Marg, the entry road and circulating areas were being remodelled completely.
- Railways has planned a new direct entry road from Bhavbhuti Marg straight to the station with a green belt and footpaths on both sides of the road, to eliminate the frequent jams and congestion of passengers & vehicular traffic.
The entire circulating area is being re-developed with-
- Efficient drainage
- High-quality concrete roads with multiple lanes
- State of the art LED sign boards, with separate lanes & parking for autos, taxis & buses
- It said, ample space for parking and pick-up and drop area is also being earmarked for all modes of transport.
- R N Singh, Divisional Railway Manager, Delhi, said,”The new skywalk will eliminate the cross movement of passengers from the metro stations to the New Delhi Railway Station and vice-versa.”
Image Credit: Superfast1111 – Wikimedia Commons