Date of Post: 14 May, 2018
Kolkata: The new 12.3 km Akhaura rail line will reduce journey time between Agartala & Kolkata by 21 hours, by cutting through Bangladesh’s capital Dhaka instead of Guwahati. The travel time between Agartala & Kolkata will now be reduced to about 10 hours from current 31 hours as it will travel a mere 550 km instead of 1600.
Currently, India & Bangladesh have 4 operational rail links between West Bengal & Western Bangladesh.
The 4 lines are-
- Radhikapur-Biral & Singhabad-Rohanpur are also notified for use of Nepalese transit traffic.
- The present line will go to Akhaura which is linked to Dhaka Chittagong rail route.
- Chief engineer of the Rs 570 crore project M S Chauhan said,”Kolkata is a major destination for people in this area, but as of now there was no direct connectivity to the city. The line will help not only people from Agartala but also those from Mizoram which is 150 km away.”
- He said, the line will be operational by 2020.
- Sources said, the trains on the line will undergo security check once at Nishchintpur on the Indian side and Gangasagar on the Bangladesh side.
- This line will be instrumental in freight movement as well as goods from the northeastern state can now reach Kolkata in one 3rd the time.
- Similarly, goods from Chittagong port will reach Agartala quicker.
Image Credit: Tomasz Sienicki – Wikimedia Commons