Date of Post: 18 Feb, 2019
Ministry of Railways has embarked up on the ambitious project of ‘Redevelopment of Railway Stations’ with world class smart amenities and elegant look and feel for all the important railway stations. Nellore Railway station is one of those stations considered for such redevelopment on a grand scale. The estimated cost of this project is around Rs. 100 Crore which will be executed jointly by Rail Land Development Authority (RLDA) and National Buildings Construction Company Ltd (NBCC).
Nellore station will be developed as energy efficient and eco-friendly station by implementing various Green initiatives and Energy initiatives like Green terraces, cellular rain water harvesting, Solar panels, LED lighting, use of energy efficient devices, use of insulation on roof top, use of capacitors at load centers, use of high efficiency motors, use of part solar external lighting etc.
Nellore Railway station redevelopment project is an up-gradation project, keeping in view of the expected additional inflow of passengers in the next few years where station complex is integrated with other infrastructure facilities to provide a seamless experience to the passengers by providing world class infrastructure and iconic Architecture, duly utilizing commercial potential of the station.
Nellore city is District Headquarters and the fourth populous district in the State of Andhra Pradesh. It is an abode of famous tourist destinations like Pulicat Lake (second largest brackish water lagoon in India), Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary, Ranganathaswamy Temple, Udayagiri Fort, Venkatagiri Fort, Khaja Rahamatulla Dargah etc. The district is also on the map of Science & Technology with the establishment of Satish Dhawan Space Centre (Rocket launching Centre).
At present, Nellore Railway station is Non Suburban Grade 3 (A-Category) station and is located in the busiest and important railway trunk route of Vijayawada – Chennai. This station handles 43 pairs of Express Trains and 7 pairs of Passenger Trains every day. The average footfall per day is around 25,000. At present, there are 4 platforms, 4 meters Foot over Bridge, 3 Escalators covering all platforms, 3 Lifts, Booking office with 7 Counters, Enquiry Office, Public address system, Food plaza, Retiring rooms, 3 ATMs, both Upper class and General Waiting halls etc.
Salient features and objectives of Redevelopment of Nellore Station:
- Elegant structural design taking into consideration structure safety and stability, aesthetics conceived by architect, constructability, ease of maintenance and durability.
- An iconic structure with modern state-of-the art-facilities. Integrating both sides of the city i.e., entry and exit on both sides of the station.
- Additional facilities like retail stores, shopping, hospitality, food-court etc.
- Spacious circulating area and sufficient provision for drop off, pick up and parking along with congestion free non-conflicting entry/exit to the station premises.
- Green buildings with optimum use of natural ventilation & lighting.
- User friendly international signage boards understandable by all sections of the society. Multilingual digital signage along with Braille script wherever feasible.
- All essential facilities at concourse like catering, small retails, wash rooms, cloak rooms, drinking water, ATM, Pharmacy, Internet etc.
- Integration with other modes of public/ private transport systems e.g. Bus, Taxi, Auto-rickshaw etc.
- Implementation of all the applicable fire & life safety standards like advanced features in Fire alarm and detection system, security system like CCTV cameras, Integrating intrusion detection, access control and video surveillance etc., will be ensured.
- An earmarked space for establishing exhibition gallery, which can be given on lease to artists and agencies.
- Stalls/retail kiosks for sale of local crafts/arts/products will be established to improve local art & culture.
- As per norms, all the facilities for Divyangjan like exclusive parking, rest room, ramp, drinking water, toilets etc will be provided.
- Efficient water supply system.
- In addition, excellent sewage system including waste water treatment plant, soiled, waste and rain water disposal etc., will be implemented.
Source: South Central Railway