Date of Post : 21 July, 2017
For the forthcoming Metro Rail in Ahmedabad, the National Institute of Design (NID) has bagged Metro rail project to design signages on the entire stretch of the railway line, including stations which will connect Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar.
Further Information About the Project:
- The project will have two experts and a consultant working on the designs.
- The project is led by professor Tridha Gajjar, coordinator, graphic design.
- The director of NID, Pradyumna Vyas said, “It is a very proud moment for us to work for betterment of the city by contributing our designs to projects like metro rail, airport beautification etc.”
- Professor Gajjar said, “We have been given a deadline of six months in which we have to give them designs of six prototypes for stations and roads. We have started work and are studying the metro route. The visual identity of Metro rail should be such that one can relate to it at once,” she said.
- An expert said, “NID should take some cue from Delhi metro rail which has used tough material for signages ensuring they are vandalism and defilement-proof. The signages are made of aluminium extrusion with vinyl.”
NID’s Other Works
- NID’s Professor Pravinsinh Solanki and his team is also working on to give a facelift to Vaishno Devi shrine in Jammu.
- Besides, NID has also designed signages & designed monkey-proof dustbins for Vaishno Devi Shrine Board and also enabled better facilities.
Ahmedabad Metro Rail Project
- The total length of the Ahmedabad Metro Rail Project Phase-I : 39.259 km
- Out of the total length, approximately 6 km is underground and the rest is elevated.
- No. of corridors : 2
- No. of Stations : 32
About The North-South Corridor:
- Total Length: 18.522 km
- The corridor will connect Motera Stadium to APMC and Vasna
- Stations Under the Corridor:
- Sabarmati railway station
- Old high court
- Jivraj station.
- The corridor will be completely elevated.
About the East-West Corridor:
- Total Length : 20.737 km
- No. of Stations : 17
- The corridor will connect Vastral Gaam to Thaltej Gaam
Stations Under the Corridor:
- Nirant Crossroads
- Rabari Colony
- Apparel Park
- Kankaria east
- Kalupur railway station
- old high court
- Sardar Patel Stadium
- Commerce six roads
- Gujarat University
- Gurukul Road
- Doordarshan Kendra
- Thaltej station
- This corridor will have 6 km underground stretch and 4 stations will fall within this section.
- Besides these 4 stations, rest will be on elevated section.
Old high court station will be an interchange station for both corridors.