Date of Post: 03 Oct, 2017
Nagpur: Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and Union Minister for Road Transport & Highways Nitin Gadkari flagged off the trial run of Nagpur Metro Rail.
The run was conducted from Chinchbhuvan to the New Airport, covering a distance of 5.4 km.
The project was inaugurated by PM Narendra Modi on May 30, 2015.
The Metro rail project has become the fastest Metro project to reach the trial run stage
During The Inauguration Ceremony:
- On Saturday, a three-coach train travelled a distance of 5.4 km on the at-grade section (ground level) between the Mihan and Khapri station.
- The trial run will continue over the next 2 months for verification of different safety parameters & for final safety certification by the CMRS (Commissioner of Railway Safety).
- SBI Chairperson Arundhati Bhattacharya, was present on the occasion, and launched MAHA CARD, a common mobility card for various modes of transport.
- Fadnavis said,“The Nagpur Metro with this trial run is said to be the fastest completed Metro rail project in the country.”
- He assured to extend it to the adjoining Kanhan, Hingana & Buttibori satellite towns.
- The project will create 20,000 job opportunities and become an engine of economic growth, Fadnavis said.
- Fadnavis said that Metro Rail Network is not merely a transport facility, but a growth engine for economic & overall development.
- CM appreciated the initiative of common mobility card, MAHAcard and spoke on efforts for building elevated rail & road corridors in Mumbai.
- Gadkari congratulated the MAHA-METRO, for “speedy & excellent quality implementation” of the Nagpur metro project.