Date Of Post: 17 Apr, 2018
Nagpur: Nagpur will get Regional Rapid Transit System that will replace the existing passenger trains with modern EMU (Electric Multiple Unit) trains, Union Transport Minister Nitin Gadkari said on Monday.
- The Minister, during an inter inter-ministerial meeting in New Delhi, proposed to the Ministry of Railways to introduce modern air-conditioned MEMU (Mainline Electric Multiple Unit) rakes on the broad gauge railway lines connecting Nagpur with satellite towns of Kotal, Bhandara, Ramtek and Wardha — all within a distance of 40-60 km.
- A ministry statement said,”Based on the initial feasibility report presented by Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation Ltd (MMRCL), consensus has been reached between Indian Railways and MMRCL.”
- The ministry said,”These rakes will be fit for running services at a speed up to 120 kmph with higher acceleration and deceleration, which will help in reducing the running time in the congested sections….”
- The project was proposed to be part of the Maha-Metro, Nagpur, and would be handed over to the Indian Railways for its operation, it informed.
- The proposed EMU trains would have modern aesthetic & ergonomic design, and have features like
- Passenger information display
- Automatic announcements
- Digital route display
- The new metro train would provide the daily commuters with the option of faster, easy, time-saving & air-conditioned travel, it added.
Image Credit: UITP India