Date Of Post: 23 Nov, 2017
Nagpur: Mahametro has decided to extend the Metro Rail by 3km and construct two new metro stations and another new station will come up at Cotton Market.
At present the terminal station on south side was Khapri, Mahametro, MD, Brijesh Dixit said.
Metro To Extend By 3 km
- He said,”Beyond this lies the Mihan depot. Now, the track will go alongside the depot up to almost the Outer Ring Road. We will construct Ecopark and Metro City stations there. Metro City will become the terminal station. The distance between Khapri and Ecopark stations is 2.2km while Metro City is 0.6km from Ecopark.”
- The length of Nagpur Metro rail will increase up to 41.2km from present 38.2km due to the extension.
- Mahametro will do the expansion with the money it has saved from execution of the existing project.
New Metro Stations
- “In the original project, there were 36 stations. Now, the number has increased to 40. One new station — Airport South — was approved earlier and is nearing completion. Cotton Market, Ecopark and Metro City were approved in a board meeting held recently,” Dixit said.
- Nagpur Metro’s oscillation self trial results for at grade section had been accepted by RDSO (Research Development & Standards Organization) Lucknow, he informed.
- Dixit said,”RDSO will issue a certificate in a week. This will be sent to Railway Board. After the board approves it, we will invite commissioner of Metro rail safety (CMRS) for inspection. All this is expected to take some time and the commercial operation of at grade section will begin in January next year.”
- 95% of the track was found okay during the self trial, according to dixit.
- He added,”We had to carry out corrective measures in just two to three places. All the parameters were within limits.”