Mumbai : In 20 years, this is the first time that the Kurla Station in Mumbai is set to get makeover.
Know About Kurla Station :
- No. of Platforms : 8
- No. of Tracks : 8
- Owner : Ministry of Railways
- The station is on the Central & Harbour lines of Mumbai Suburban Railway Network.
- It is among the oldest stations in India and being part of the original 21 mile
Kurla Station Map
Map Credit: Google Maps
Revamping of Kurla Station :
- The traffic police has begun removing 100-odd encroachments around Kurla railway station, both east and west of the tracks.
- The traffic cops are facing multiple hurdles like from autorickshaw drivers, BEST, illegal encroachments, irregularly placed traffic signals and hawkers.
- To curb this problem, the cops have tied up with the local police to keep the outside area of station premises free of illegal hawkers to make a free movement of people and traffic.
- DCP Saurabh Tripathi said, “The idea is to keep space immediately outside the station free of any kind of parking — be it a BEST bus, an autorickshaw stand or hawkers — so that there is easy movement of passengers.”
- Another task is to shift the autorickshaw stand to other location & streamline services. The present scenario is the autorickshaws move up to the exits of the station to attract more & more customers which leads to jam and congestion outside the station.
- Once the shifting of autorickshaw stand is done, more space is created and then the BEST buses will also be able to reach the station exits.
- The next step to be followed will be to synchronise a signal which is present outside the Kurla Station on east side.
Amitesh Kumar, Joint CP, Traffic said, “We have begun work on decongesting the area outside railway stations. Some work has been done in Dadar (East) and in Bandra. The response we got is positive, but now we want to take up Kurla. We will have to put in more effort, but are hopeful that we will soon get positive results there as well.”
Commuters Will Soon Use The Much Awaited Subway Near Kurla Station:
- The much awaited Kurla Subway is likely to be ready by October giving a big relief to the commuters.
- More than 5 lakh commuters uses the footover bridge of Kurla Railway Station to cross over, so they have a reason to cheer themselves.
- Currently, the final touches are being added to the subway.
- The Subway will provide respite to pedestrians who uses the crowded Kurla station foot over bridge.
- The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has completed the approach road to the subway and the finishing work inside the subway is still ongoing and is being carried out by the Railways.