Date of Post: 27 Nov, 2017
Mumbai: The MMRDA (Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority) is planning to, integrate the all the metro lines in the future. The Andheri-Ghatkopar metro line would be linked with five other metro lines through various means like FOBs (foot overbridges), skywalks, ramps & escalators, an official said.
Integration Of Metro Lines
- The main aim behind integrating the metro lines is that passengers who want to travel from one junction to another do not have to get on to the road to change metro routes.
- The state body is already working towards an integrated transport system wherein transport services would be inter-connected, a senior official said.
- The current operational Mumbai Metro line 1 would be linked to other metro routes like-
- Metro 7 (Andheri east to Dahisar east)
- Underground Metro line 3 (Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ)
- Metro line 4 (Wadala-Kasarvadavali)
- Metro line 2 (Dahisar to Mandale).
- An MMRDA official, working on the integration project, said,“Line 7 would be connected at WEH (Western Express Highway) and Line 2 would join at DN Nagar. Depending on the distance between two stations, skywalks would be built, so that commuters can swiftly switch to another line.”
- The Metro 4, a 32-km-long elevated corridor, will join the line 1 at Amrut Nagar in Ghatkopar.
- An official said,“The distance between Metro line 1 and line 4 is more, due to which a skywalk of more than 600 metres would be constructed.”
Progress Of Metro Rail Projects In Mumbai
- More than 40 per cent civil work of Metro line 2 & 7 has been completed, the officials said.
- Meanwhile, the MMRDA is planning to step the pace of work as they are running against the deadline for the project which needs to be completed by 2019.
- Meanwhile, officials have kick started with a survey for Metro 4.
- An official said,“Once the survey is complete, the contractor would be finalised for the same and work would start immediately.”