Date of Post : 11 July, 2017
Mumbai: Mumbai Metro installed plastic crushers to recycle waste plastic bottles at 6 of the 12 stations on the network here as part of the Swachh Bharat Mission, an official spokesperson said on Monday. The crushers are developed by Wild West Media.
The crushers have been installed at :
- D.N. Nagar
- Marol Naka
- Saki Naka
- The spokesperson said,“As an ecologically-conscious utility, we strive to keep the environment clean and green, and are always keen to adopt the best practices for bettering the environment towards creating a Swachh Bharat. Mumbai Metro has already become synonymous with cleanliness.”
- Commuters shall be entitled to instant rewards in the form of redeemable coupons which will be dispensed by the machine, for their efforts.
- These coupons with discounts of 20-25% can be redeemed at select brands.
- The crushed plastic bottles shall be sent for recycling to fiber-manufacturing companies & used as raw materials for clothing, carpets, grocery bags among others.
- Simple to operate & cost-effective, each machine is about the size of a refrigerator & can “consume” about 5,000 plastic bottles per day.
- Reliance Infra Ltd’s Mumbai Metro One has several other eco-friendly measures in place, including recycling 90% of water used for washing its rolling stocks, rooftop solar panels for generating electricity & switching over to LED lighting at its offices & stations.