Date of Post: 09 June, 2018
Surya 1 , The first TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine) of package-1 of Mumbai Metro 3 corridor has arrived in the city.
Ashwini Bhide, Managing Director, Mumbai Metro Rail Corpoation (MMRC) said that the TBM, Surya 1, will start tunnelling in the areas of south Mumbai between Cuffe Parade to Hutatma Chowk soon.
- The TBM Surya-1, manufactured by Robbins Company, weighing over 700 tonnes, has a diameter of 5.8 metre and is 98 metre long.
- After assembling its front and middle shields, cutter head, erector, screw conveyor and tailskin shield over a period of 30 days, it will be lowered from a launching shaft in Cuffe Parade using heavy duty cranes of 750 tonne capacity.
- The TBM will be deployed for digging two long tunnels below Cuffe Parade, Vidhan Bhavan, Churchgate & Hutatma Chowk stations, she said.
- It will use 4,086 tunnel rings to construct the tunnels with circular cross sections and will join the 8 TBMs that are already boring underground in different parts of Mumbai.
- The precast segments, essential for forming a concrete ring inside the tunnels, are already being manufactured at 6 different casting yards.
- Bhide said, the entire project will require a whopping 37,879 segment rings, which will be casted in 65 moulds imported from France & Korea and 33% of the segments have already been cast so far.
- She added,”By August, all the 17 TBMs will be ready on ground to build the Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ Metro III corridor. So far we have completed nearly four km of tunnelling, and with Surya-1, the work will be speeded up.”
- The fully underground Metro-3 project, which will cost around Rs 23,136 crore, is estimated to be completed by 2021.
- JICA (Japan International Co-operation Agency) will provide loan assistance worth Rs 13,235 Crore
- Balance funding will be made available by Govt. of India, Govt. of Maharashtra and others.
Image Credit: Mumbai Metro 3
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .