Date of Post: 12 Sep, 2017
Mumbai: The tunnelling work for a 4.5km long section between Azad Maidan & Grant Road of the Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ Metro-3 underground corridor will commence by early November.
Second TBM shipped from China
MMRC (Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation) officials said that the TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine) for the section has been shipped from China & would be arriving in Mumbai next week.
- SK Gupta, Director (projects), MMRC said,”The tunneling work for package 2 of the project will start from the Azad Maidan launching shaft. The TBM for the section will arrive in this week and the work there is expected to start by early November.”
- This will be the 2nd TBM being brought for the Metro-3 underground corridor work.
First TBM to start tunneling
- Recently, the MMRC received its first TBM from China, & the machine will be used for boring a 6.10km long tunnel between Dharavi & Siddhivinayak.
- A total of 17 TBMs will be deployed at 11 launching sites across the 33.5km long alignment between October & February next year.
Image Credit: MMRC
Tunneling work at other areas
- Apart from south Mumbai, the tunnelling work at Vidyanagari (Kalina, Santacruz east) will start by November followed by Pali ground at Andheri east in November & Cuffe Parade sometime in February.
The Metro-3 Project-
MML-3 is a 33.5 KMs long underground corridor running along Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ. Length of the corridor is marked with 27 key stations out of which 26 will be underground and 1 at grade.
The details of the stations are:
- Cuffe Parade
- Vidhan Bhavan
- Hutatma chowk
- CST Metro
- Grant Road
- Mumbai Central Metro
- Science Museum
- Acharya Atre Chowk
- Domestic Airport
- Sahar Road
- International Airport
- Marol Naka
- Aarey Depot
Image Credit: MMRC
Recent Updates on Metro-3:
06/09/2017 – Beach cleaning initiative taken up at Girgaon Chowpatty by HCC and Mumbai Metro 3 pkg-2 employees, for GaneshChaturthi
06/09/2017 – MMRC gets its first Tunnel Boring Machine (TBM) for the construction of 33.5 km long Colaba-Bandra-Seepz Metro-3 corridor
05/09/2017 – MMRC announces, the completion of 1000 secant piles of Mumbai Metro-3 package 1, Cuffe Parade to Hutatma Chowk
05/09/2017 – First TBM of Mumbai Metro-3 arrived from China at Mumbai port
29/08/2017 – MMRC plans to raise Rs 1,000 Crore through venturing into real estate so as to pump into its Rs 23 135-crore Metro-3 project
22/08/2017 – Metro-3 appoints GD Sambhare & RH Mahimatura as architects for Kalbadevi-Girgaum in situ rehabilitation scheme