Date of Post: 19 Dec, 2018
Mumbai: Mumbai will have a 275-km long metro line by 2024, said Prime Minister Narendra Modi, after laying the foundation stone of two metro rail corridors, on Tuesday. In Kalyan, Prime Minister Modi laid the foundation stone of two metro corridors -Thane-Bhiwandi-Kalyan metro and Dahisar-Mira-Bhayander metro.
Mumbai, Thane and the surrounding regions play a crucial role in India’s progress. The Central and Maharashtra Government are taking many steps for the growth of these places.
Today, laid the foundation stones for projects worth Rs. 33,000 crore, including 2 Metro Lines. pic.twitter.com/E4AXYPKxbY
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) December 18, 2018
- While addressing a gathering, PM Modi said,”In the coming three years, 35-km long metro line will be added to the existing network. By 2024, Mumbai will have a 275-km long metro line.”
- The estimated cost of two metro projects has been pegged to be of more than Rs 33,000 crore.
- The metro project was started for the first time in Mumbai in 2006, but in 8 years, the only 11-km long metro route was made operational, he said.
- He said,”After coming to power in 2014, his government decided to increase both the speed and scale of the project.”
- The Rs 8,416-crore, 24.9-km-long Thane-Bhiwandi-Kalyan metro corridor (Metro-5) is expected to carry around 2.29 lakh commuters daily by 2021, with the entire system designed for 6-coach trains.
- The corridor will have 17 stations.
- The 10.3-km elevated Dahisar-Mira Bhayander corridor (Metro-9) comprising 8 stations, is expected to be completed by 2022, and the cost of the project is estimated at Rs. 6,607 crore.
- Both the projects are being executed by the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA).
To know more about recent developments of Mumbai Metro –
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information .