Date of Post: 08 Sep, 2017
New Delhi : In the recent cabinet reshuffle Mr. Piyush Goyal has been given the charge of the Rail Ministry. Piyush Goyal is also a Minister for Coal, so the dual portfolio of Mr. Goyal will bring a lot of synergy, coordination and the required momentum.
COAL LOADING ACCOUNTS TO ALMOST HALF OF THE RAIL FREIGHT TRAFFIC
- Freight accounts for almost around 65% of the Railways revenue and helps it cross-subsidise passenger earnings.
- In April-July, coal loading went 173.81 million tonnes.
- Commercial mining, rationalising coal linkages, ensuring better coordination between the Ministry of Coal and the Railway Ministry will be of top most priority now; says Union Minister of Railways Piyush Goyal.
- The experts are of the view that with Mr. Goyal coming in, the coordination between Coal and Railway Ministry will improve significantly.
- “The same Minister for both Coal and Railway Ministry will bring a lot of synergy and the required momentum. Also, the blame game would also cease between both the departments and issues can be resolved quickly,” former Railway Board Chairman Vivek Sahai said.
- Mr. Sahai further said that another challenge for Mr. Goyal would be to increase the freight basket for the Indian Railways and move beyond coal.
DETAILED STUDY INITIATED BY RAILWAYS
- To find out the potential sectors for increasing the freight growth, railways had initiated a detailed study of as many as 46 commodities.
- Some of the areas included
- Refrigerated Goods
- Building Material
- Courier Express
- The Railways however, has not been able to move away from its dependency on coal as yet.
- RK Singh, who will carry forward Goyal’s vision at Power Ministry, says ‘will continue Goyal’s good work’.
- RK Singh, Minister of State (Independent Charge), took charge of the Ministry of Power, and the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
- Piyush Goyal said, “Commercial mining, rationalising coal linkages, ensuring better coordination between the Ministry of Coal and the Railway Ministry will be a priority of the Coal Ministry now.”
- Singh added “There is will be great turnaround in railways as well. He has done a great job here (in power and renewable energy ministries).”