Date of Post: 03 Sep, 2018
Modern Coach Factory, Raebareli has turned out a smart Coach No.18155 LACCN. This coach is on LHB platform and equipped with state of the art sensors and centralized computer to monitor the status of all sensors through a single window. A pilot project is being launched to turn out minimum 100 more Smart Coaches to gain experience and validate the benefits.
The salient features of the coach are as per following:
- Vibration based self power harvesting sensor on the axle box which will predict the defects on the bearings, wheel defects and hard spot (defects) on the track. This will enable Railways to plan their maintenance on exactly need basis and will also eliminate on line failures.
- Central Processing Unit known as “PICCU” (Passenger Information and Coach Computing Unit) is basically industrial grade computer has been provided with GSM network to send Exception Reports to the remote server. The PICCU will primarily monitor the following 4 important area of coach maintenance and passenger interface.
- Coach diagnostic system.
- Security and surveillance system.
- Interface with other sub-system like air conditioning, disc brake system, fire detection and alarm system, water level indicator.
- GPS based Passenger Announcement and Passenger Information System and digital destination board.
The passenger information system will inform the passengers about the current location of the train and the next station and also expected time of arrival at the next station. This system can also show the speed of the train.
Water level indicator can give advance information of the maintenance staff through SMS about the requirement of refilling of water.
The CCTV with artificial intelligence capability will enhance the security of the passengers and also monitor of the behavior and activities of on Board railway staff. The footage will also help in investigation into any untoward incident during the journey and identifying the culprits and in direct intervention from remote control centre.
The AC temperature can be monitored on run from a remote location and adjustment can also be done, if required to enhance the comfort of the passengers.
The system is also capable of monitoring of the brake system and any fault in the system can be communicated to the maintenance staff in advance so that corrective action and maintenance can be planned.
The coach is also provided with the emergency talk back system for communication between the passengers (especially woman and child) and Guard of the train so that necessary assistance can be provided.
The coach has also been provided with Wi-fi hot spot information system. The passenger can connect themselves with the device and can see the programme like movie, songs and Government Scheme etc. on their mobile phone, Tab and Laptop.
Over all the Smart Coach will change the philosophy of maintenance and provide world class facilities to passengers. The systems of Smart Coach will help in switching from preventive maintenance to predictive maintenance of coaches and also tracks. The maintenance requirement will come down and will be cost effective and targeted maintenance can be planned in advance.
Additional cost of all systems/all equipments will be approximately Rs.12-14 lakhs which can be recovered in a year or so.
To know more about recent developments of Indian Railways-
Source: Northern Railway