Date Of Post: 07 Mar, 2018
New Delhi: The metro rail network in the country was expected to cross 700 km in the next few years, Housing and Urban affairs minister Hardeep Singh Puri said. From just 8 km in 2002, as many as 425 km of metro lines are operational as of now in 10 different cities across the country, addressing an event, Puri said.
- He also called for the need to devise technologies that would help in constructing & operating metro systems in sustainable manner in the country.
- an official release, quoting the minister, said,”With many cities planning for metro rail and in next few years, the network length of the Metro in India is expected to cross 700 km.”
- The minister said, in addition to this, regional rail transit systems are also being planned to unclog the cities.
- Delhi Metro, with an operational network of 231 km, was carrying 3 million people every day, he said.
- He expressed confidence that within a year the network length in the National Capital Region will cross the 350 Km.
Image Credit: Delhi Metro Rail