Date Of Post: 30 Nov, 2017
On the day of inauguration of Lucknow Metro i.e. September 05, 2017, the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh Sh. Yogi Adityanath assured of setting up Uttar Pradesh Metro Corporation instead of setting Metro Corporation for particular cities.
He also said, “I would like to give the responsibility of UP Metro Corporation to Sreedharan as chief advisor and MD Keshav Kumar as advisor.”
So moving forward on that initiative Uttar Pradesh would now have an umbrella body to oversee all metro rail projects in the state.
UP Metro Rail Corporation
- The UP Metro Rail Corporation to be modelled on the lines of Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation.
- The new UP Metro Rail Corporation (UPMRC) is all set to come into existence in December, according to sources.
- This new entity would be a 50:50 joint venture between the central and the state government for all existing and future Metro projects in Uttar Pradesh.
- A senior official associated with the project said,“The draft proposal has been submitted and is expected to get the state government’s nod in the next cabinet meeting scheduled for December 5.”
- The formation of UPMRC gained momentum following a missive from the Union Ministry of Urban Development, which had asked all the states to consider formation of a unified metro rail authority for better coordination and faster clearances.
- The corporation would have a managing director
- Three or Four Directors
- Two Executive Directors
- A Finance Controller.
About The Existing Metro Rail Corporation
- The Lucknow Metro Rail Corporation and all other existing special purpose vehicles formed to oversee Metro projects in the state would be reconstituted into UPMRC for the implementation of all state metro projects.
- “The legal framework, however, would remain the same. That is, the corporation would work under Metro Railways (Construction of Works) Act 1978, the Railways Act of 1989 and the Metro Railways (Operations and Maitenance) Act, 2002,” said the official.
- The CM has already requested to the ‘Metroman’ E Sreedharan to be the principal advisor to the proposed UPMRC and to explore the launch of Metro services in Varanasi, Kanpur, Agra, Moradabad, Allahabad, Meerut, Gorakhpur, Jhansi and other cities.
- This corporation would further explore possibilities of monorail services in some parts of the state.