Date of Post: 1 Mar 2019
The Union Cabinet , in a boost to urban public transport have approved metro rail projects of Kanpur and Agra cities in U.P.
Agra Metro Project :
- The Agra metro rail project will have two corridors.
- These corridors will connect major public nodes,tourist places and city cluster areas of Agra.
- The metro rail system , once implemented will result in less vehicular traffic and better movement on the roads,leading to the reduction in congestion, travel time, cost of journey and pollution.
- The system will also promote transit-oriented development which will lead to the development of more residential and commercial complexes along the corridors.
Further , The Agra metro rail project will pass through heart of the city and connect prominent tourist places as below:-
- Taj Mahal, Agra Fort
- Sikandra as well as ISBT
- Raja Ki Mandi Railway Station
- Medical College
- Agra Cantt Railway Station
- Sanjay Place and surrounding residential areas.
- The length of Sikandra to Taj East Gate corridor will be 14.00 km, which is partly elevated and underground and shall comprise of 13 stations.
- Agra Cantt to Kalindi Vihar corridor is expected to be 15.40 km.
- It will be completed in 5 years with estimated cost of Rs.8,379.62 crore.
- The proposed corridors will be having multimodal integration with railway stations and BRTS (Bus Rapid Transit System) and have feeder network of bus,ITP (Intermediate Public Transport)and(NMT) Non-Motorised Transport.
- The metro project will have non-fare box revenue from rental and advertisement as well as VCF (Value Capture Financing) through the mechanism of TOD (Transit Oriented Development) and TDR (Transfer of Development Rights).
Kanpur Metro Rail Project :
- This project will also have two corridors, which will connect major public nodes and city cluster areas of Kanpur.
- The length of ITT to Naubasta corridor is 23.785 km, is partly elevated,underground and comprises of 22 stations.
- The length of Agriculture University to Barra-8 corridor is 8.60 km.
- Estimated cost of the project is Rs 11,076.48 crore and will be completed in 5 years.
- It will provide eco-friendly and sustainable public transport to residents,commuters, industrial workers,visitors and travellers.
- Nearly 4 million people are expected to be benefitted by the new metro rail project.
To know more about recent developments of of Metro–
( Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. )