Lucknow: On Thursday, Union Ministry of Railways gave final clearance to Lucknow Metro Rail Corporation (LMRC). Commuters may get to ride the metro train in Lucknow in a month once it gets final nod for commercial run from the Commissioner of Metro Railway Safety (CMRS) after inspecting all its technical features.
The ministry has given its approval for Lucknow Metro to operate at a maximum speed of 80 kmph.
- Metro project comes under the purview of Union ministry of urban development but all its technical design & planning are as per railway norms.
- “We are just one step away from public launch as the moment the CMRS signs the certificate after inspection, the metro can run the same day. In Delhi, it took 2-and-half weeks and in other cities too it takes around the same time so we assume, the CMRS would approve metro’s commercial run in next 3 to 4 weeks,” Sources in LMRC said.
- On Friday, LMRC will send a letter to CMRS requesting him to visit the depot & corridor & check all technical & safety features.
- “The CMRS needs railway’s technical clearance before it visits metro site for inspection. Since the CMRS of Lucknow has already gone through RDSO’s report on test trials, safety features, speed test and stations features, we believe he wouldn’t have any queries on the project,” officials said.
- Normally, CMRS takes a day to inspect metro project, including functioning of various features in the stations like lifts, escalators, security systems before riding the train in a trial run & once satisfied on all grounds, he signs the certificate for commercial run.
- 4 train sets consisting 4 coaches each are required to run the Metro, LMRC officials said.
- They expects to run the metro train on the 8.5 kilometer priority corridor from Transport Nagar – Charbagh by July 2017.