Date of Post: 30 Nov, 2018
Mumbai: Union Railway Minister Piyush Goyal has directed that all local trains in the city be turned into 15-coach trains. Piyush Goyal, in a meeting with senior officials of the Central Railway and Western Railway, asked them to come up with a timeline for the project within 2 weeks, reported Mumbai Mirror.
- This move will increase the Mumbai local trains’ capacity by 25%, Goyal was quoted as saying in the report.
- Currently, the suburban fleet consists mostly of 12-coach rakes.
- While the Western Railway has only 15 local trains with 15 coaches, the Central Railway has just one local trains with 15 coaches.
- The Mumbai Suburban Railway system, which is operated by Western Railway and Central Railway , operates 2,342 train services and carries more than 7.5 million commuters daily.
- By annual ridership (2.64 billion), the Mumbai Suburban Railway is one of the busiest commuter rail systems in the world.
- Earlier this month, Goyal announced the government has approved up to Rs 65,000 crore for a host of rail infrastructure projects on the suburban network in Mumbai and its surrounding areas, reported PTI.
- “With the blessings of our visionary Prime Minister Narendra Modi and with active support of Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, the decision of having an investment of a whopping Rs 60,000 to Rs 65,000 crore in the last proposed budget has been approved,” the news agency quoted Goyal as saying.
To know more about recent developments of Railways–
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .