Date of Post : 28 Aug, 2017
Lucknow: Lucknow Metro Rail Corporation (LMRC) is planning to begin construction of Kanpur Metro by early next year. LMRC, which is coordinator of Kanpur Metro’s Detailed Project Report (DPR) has sought initial funding from the state government to begin documentation & floating of its tenders this year.
“We have tried to convince the government to give us some initial funds to begin the tendering of its works this year so that we are able to begin construction by early next year. We have sought around Rs 25-30 crore as the initial fund to start the process,” A LMRC senior official said
- Already, the project DPR has been approved by the state government & will now be sent for Centre approval.
- The team is following footsteps of Lucknow Metro rail where even before Centre agreed to share the construction cost, former government kept funding the construction from time to time.
- The government may extend bigger allocations later in 2018 but to start the project, they need funds, LMRC said.
- LMRC has, at present, hired a contractor to do earth-filling of the depot & construct boundary walls around it.
- The DPR suggests main corridor of around 26km length from IIT Kalyanpur- Rawatpur, Mall Road, Phoolbagh to Naubasta.
- The 2nd route from GSVM government medical college – via Govind Nagar Road- Fazalganj Chouraha to Vijay Nagar crossing up to Bara sector 8 will be 10km.
- More than half of the metro corridor will run underground in Kanpur because of the narrow lanes.
- The cost of construction per/kilometer is estimated at around Rs 350 crore (approx US$ 55 Million).