Date Of Post: 02 Jan, 2018
Kochi: The state cabinet, on Monday, cleared the draft of Kerala Metropolitan Transport Authority (KMTA) bill. The new bill aims to form metropolitan transport authority for planning, integration, development & control of transport and its related works in urban mobility areas. As per the metro rail policy 2017, formation of unified metropolitan transport authority is mandatory for areas where metros are proposed or being implemented.
- The draft bill was formulated considering this new metro rail policy.
- The bill will be passed in the next assembly session.
- Apart from Kochi, which has a metro, light metros are proposed in Thiruvananthapuram & Kozhikode.
- With the KMTA, around 20 departments related to city traffic will come under a single umbrella.
- The KMTA will have powers to give necessary recommendations to all departments concerned over topics related to urban transport.
- Facilities such as intelligent transport system, common command & control centre, among others will be executed through KMTA.
Image Credit: Kochi Metro