Date of Post: 30 May, 2018
Visakhapatnam: Krishnapatnam Port Company Ltd (KPCL), in association with CONCOR, has launched a new weekly direct container rail service connecting the country’s central region to the east coast and beyond. The inaugural train left from Krishnapatnam Port Container Terminal (KPCT), on Tuesday, with a full load of MAERSK Line import containers, the company said.
- The company said in a statement,”The new rail transit will run a direct shuttle service between ICD (Inland Container Depot), Nagpur to KPCT in record 55 hours, at competitive freight rates.”
- The service is set to offer huge benefits for EXIM shipments between central India and trade destinations like China, far east, Australia, Bangladesh & West Africa.
- “Our new service offering is all set to revolutionise the EXIM trade dynamics for central and east India as shipping over KPCT can reduce at least one week’s transit time vis–vis shipping via west coast ports and with the new freight rail service in place, traders can further rationalise time and costs, availing a direct entry into the port,” KPCL CEO Anil Yendluri said.
About the service-
- The service will provide shipping lines, forwarders, tank operators & cargo-owners, a seamless route between Krishnapatnam Container Terminal & central India including Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, and Telangana, minimising congestion and facilitating swift movement of containers.
- It added, empty containers will be made available at ICD, Nagpur for movement to KPCT.
- This rail service will enable importers & exporters of central India to benefit by using an east India port for cargoes to / from China Korea Japan and South East Asia, Vinita Venkatesh, Director, KPCL, said.
Exports under the service offering will include cargoes like-
- Ferro alloys
- Transmission towers
The imports will include-
- Calcium carbonate
- General cargo
- Waste paper
Image Credit: KPCL
Narinder Sharma is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and marketing executive.
His interest is in the Railways , Metro and Transportation Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .