Date of Post: 05 Dec, 2017
Kolkata: The TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine) Rachna reached the St Andrew’s Church compound. An engineer of KMRC (Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation) said,”Once tunnelling below the church is done, we will be through with all challenging structures in Kolkata, and won’t have to constantly fear soil-subsidence of these extremely precious heritage buildings.”
- The second TBM entered the church compound at 8 am, starting from around 10m behind the structure.
- Officials estimated it would be out of the church compound by Tuesday night, having covered some 35 metres, slightly (about 5m) parallel to the church.
- The TBM will actually be grazing the church, and not boring directly underneath.
- This is the final frontier for the project. After St Andrew’s, there’s no critical challenge for the TBMs,” agreed A K Nandy, general manager.
- He said,”After Writers’, we are keeping our fingers crossed about boring through St Andrew’s, which we have been grouting and propping up for the last one month, taking utmost care in strengthening so there is no subsidence and cracking.”
Image Credit: SOUNAK BISWAS | Flickr