Date Of Post: 23 Mar, 2018
Kolkata: A critical phase of tunneling under the busiest part of the city, was completed by the Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation, a Metro official said. Starting from Howrah Maidan on the other side of the Hooghly, the west-bound line tunnel boring machine ‘Prerna’ reached Esplanade metro station covering a distance of 3.8 km after passing under the river, the official said.
- The tunneling had begun at Howrah Maidan on April 21, 2016 and took 23 months to pass under the Hooghly river, wholesale business hub Burrabazar and several heritage buildings in Benoy Badal Dinesh Bagh also called the Dalhousie area to reach Esplanade in the heart of the city.
- The official said,”Engineers and technicians from different countries joined hands with Indian experts to complete this task meticulously.”
- He said, the tunnel crossing below the Hooghly is the first transportation tunnel in the country under any river.
- The 16.6 km-long East-West Metro is scheduled to be completed by June 2021.
- It will have underground corridor of 10.8 km and the elevated section will be of 5.8 km.
Image Credit: Metro Rail Kolkata