Date of post: 12 Jan, 2019
Kolkata: The state government allowed to resume work on the Joka-Esplanade Metro stretch, adjacent to the collapsed Majerhat bridge. At a meeting on Thursday, railway representatives were asked to go ahead with the construction of the Majerhat station, which has remained stuck for sometime, after taking necessary precautions, a PWD official said.
- It was decided at the meeting that construction of the new bridge would start after a minor change in design and the Metro work could resume after that.
- But RVNL, the project’s implementing agency, cannot build a portion of the station’s concourse that is close to the bridge.
- RVNL has been working on a stretch of Diamond Harbour Road between Goragacha Road and Mint at Taratala but work at the site adjoining the collapsed Majerhat bridge had stopped.
- An official said, “There may have been some loss of time in the Metro construction but now that the portion above the tracks has been cleared, work on both projects will run simultaneously.”
- Traffic cops have been directed to block the stretch beyond Burdwan Road for shifting of underground utilities, an officer said.
- The shift will be the first step towards soil testing and construction of piers.
To know more about recent developments of Kolkata Metro-
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst.
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India.
Please reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.