Date of Post: 05 Mar, 2019
Kolkata Metro’s 1st Metro Rake from Overseas arrived in the city and was unloaded from a vessel at the city port on Monday.
- The rake, manufactured by CNR Dalian Locomotive & Rolling Stock Co. of China, is the first of 14 rakes to be shipped to Kolkata to boost the services of Metro Railway, which now is running with an ageing and snag-prone fleet.
- The 8 coaches will be assembled near a railway yard at the port and taken to the Noapara maintenance depot on Tuesday.
- Further ,the new rake will undergo a series of tests before being rolled out for commercial run.
- The rest of the rakes will come after the first is declared fit for commercial run.
- After trial run at the Noapara depot, it will need a clearance from the RDSO .
- Before the start of commercial run, a certificate from the Commissioner of Railway Safety and a nod from the Railway Board are required.
- The unloading began after midnight with two 200-tonne cranes on the vessel that were operated manually.
- The combined weight of the rake will be over 350 tonnes, and each coach weighs around 40 tonnes
- The customs clearance for the rakes came in the evening.
- On Tuesday, the trailers will be driven to the railway tracks a little over 600m from the dock & The coaches will be assembled there.
( Please reach us at email@example.com for more information. )