Date of Post: 04 Oct, 2018
Kolkata: The Metro Railway will start receiving delivery of 14 rakes from Chinese manufacturer Dalian from December, while 4 other rakes are awaiting safety clearance, Kolkata Metro general manager P C Sharma said. Trials are over for 4 rakes delivered by Integral Coach Factory (ICF), Chennai and fitness certificate for these are awaited, he said.
- Sharma said,”We are in touch with RDSO (Research Designs & Standards Organisation) for clearance and are trying our best to get it at the earliest.”
- The first of the 14 rakes ordered from Dalian is scheduled to arrive in December and 3 more will come in the next 3 months of the current fiscal year 2018-19, he said.
- Sharma said that the remaining 10 rakes will arrive by the end of next financial year 2019-20.
- The Kolkata Metro has been saddled with several old rakes, which have been in service since its inception in 1984.
- Of the 26 rakes in operation, 13 are old and non-AC.
- The first of the 16 rakes ordered from ICF was delivered in July 2017, with 3 more were received by the Metro later.
- However, these are yet to be introduced for passenger service pending RDSO’s safety clearance.
- Kolkata Metro had ordered 40 air-conditioned rakes from different manufacturers to augment its services.
- According to Metro spokesperson Indrani Banerjee, while 16 are from ICF, 14 are from Dalian and the rest 10 rakes are from CRRC Zhuzhou of China.
- Currently, the Kolkata Metro runs between Kavi Subhash and Noapara over a route length of 27.22 km.
To know more about recent developments of Kolkata Metro-
Deepak Kumar is a part of the content team of Rail Analysis India as a writer and analyst .
His focus is on new initiatives on the Railway Sector of India .
Please reach us at email@example.com for more information .