Date of Post: 03 Nov, 2017
Kolkata: In February 2018, the commuters of Kolkata Metro would finally get a taste of travelling in the most advanced coaches they have seen, with China-made rakes making their way into the City of Joy, a senior railways official said. He said, imported at a cost of Rs 7.1 crore per coach from the CRRC (China Railway Rolling Stock Corp. Ltd), the city would get 14 trains with a total of 112 coaches.
- This means Kolkata Metro will soon be able to shed its non-AC rakes, at least in the existing north-south corridor.
- Once operational, the trains will replace the old ones, which have been running for over 3 decades in Kolkatas 27.22-km long south-north subway line.
Features In The Coaches:
- The official said,”These will be state-of-the-art AC coaches with comfortable seating and much like the metro trains run by the DMRC in Delhi. They will also have CCTV cameras.”
- Real-time footage from the coaches will be visible to the motorman, who will monitor it on a console.
- Officials said, this would enable him to act swiftly in case of any disturbance in the coaches.
- The coaches would be fitted with 30 tonne air conditioners, instead of the existing 22 tonne machines.
- Also, the commuters will be able to communicate with the motorman during an emergency through eight talk-back units.