Date of Post: 09 Dec, 2017
Kolkata: Work on the East-West metro corridor between Howrah Maidan & Salt Lake Sector V will meet December 2020 deadline as the tunnelling between Howrah Maidan & New Mahakaran stations have been completed successfully, on friday.
- A KMRC official said,”Now that all the hurdles have been cleared and the most difficult stretch for the tunnels behind us, we are expecting to get all infrastructure ready and run trains along the entire stretch by December 2020. The deadline is unlikely to be missed.”
- One of the two TBMs (Tunnel Boring Machines) touched the western diaphragm wall of the proposed New Mahakaran station on Friday.
- The other one did so a few days ago.
TBM Completes Tunnelling
- Friday marked the end of a critical stage of building the 14.65km link between Howrah Maidan & Sector V – digging the tunnels under the central business district, which is packed with crumbling edifices & heritage structures such as Writers’ Buildings & Currency Building.
- The official said,”We have successfully completed the 2.9-km tunnelling between Howrah Maidan and New Mahakaran stations.”
- The TBMs will now move towards the site of the proposed Esplanade station, approx 750m from New Mahakaran.
- An official of Afcons said,”The tunnel-boring machines had to move fast under the buildings in the Brabourne Road-BBD Bag area to ensure that cracks did not appear on the walls, floors and ceilings. It depended on quick disposal of the muck.”
Image Credit: Kolkata Metro