Kochi: The CMRS (Commissioner of Metro Rail Safety) on Monday gave the clearance certificate for the KMRL (Kochi Metro Rail Ltd.), paving the way for the much-anticipated Metro rail to begin commercial operations soon. This is one of the quickest instances of safety clearance being granted by the CMRS for any Metro rail system in the country.
- While giving the final nod, the CMRS made some observations like doing more rectification regarding the security camera positioning & also asked for the completion of installation of the telecommunication system.
- The officers said, the KMRL will ask the DMRC to complete it immediately and submit the compliance report as soon as it is ready.
- The next stage will be the ‘service trial’ of the Metro rail, which will commence as early as on Wednesday or Thursday.
- They are trying to get Prime Minister Narendra Modi to officially inaugurate the Metro, officers said.
- The dates will be announced as per the PM’s availability, if he’s willing.
- In the first stage, the Kochi Metro rail will run on the 13-km elevated line between Aluva & Palarivattom.
- A 4-member team led by CMRS K A Manoharan from the Railways’ Southern Circle had carried out a 3-day (Wednesday to Friday) safety inspection of the Kochi Metro’s 13-km stretch.
- In the process, the KMRL received the RDSO (Research Designs & Standards Organisation’s) speed certificate in December 2016 and the Independent Safety Assessor’s
- certificate for the signalling system in mid-April 2017.
- The service trial will see the KMRL staffers & workers undertaking travel tests, just like how the passengers will journey when the service commences like:
1. Buying tickets
2. Waiting for the announcements on the metro arrivals and departures
3. Exiting and entering the various stops
To Find Rail Analysis on Facebook For latest opportunities, news, events and much more
Send your comments, suggestions and tips to email@example.com